American Culture Shock

6:05 PM at 6:05 PM

I am back in the U.S. of A.

Everything feels so off...more so than when I went to Europe. It is like an American culture shock.
Near the end of our trip I missed home and my dog, but now I am home and I miss the dirt streets, spanish filling the streets, cheap beer, fruit sold in cardboard boxes, large money, people constantly having their houses open to all who pass, kids playing soccer, howling monkeys, not flushing toilet paper, darkness at 6pm and day light at 5am. I miss the rice and beans, fresh fish, and the lush green undeveloped land. I miss the community small village feeling.

The second half of our trip was amazing. We went from rural coastal villages to more touristy places. Even though there was less wildlife and more developed lodging it was much needed. We enjoyed soaking in thermal springs near a volcano, riding horses through pastures, many hikes through cloud forests, going to way cute and expensive art galleries in the mountains and buying equally cute art/paintings. The flight back was a rush. We had an hour delay. Our layover in Texas was only an hour and twenty minutes, so with the delay we had twenty minutes to get through the airport, customs, get our bags, re check our bags...it was a rush. I have never been through an airport at such high running speeds. I can't believe we made the flight- all ten of us. Although two bags were left behind in Houston and didn't make it to Sacramento until the next day.

Now I need to adapt to the American way: the money that feels small in my hands, the clean grocery stores, the closed house doors, the inclusive people, constant cars, light skies into the night, and late mornings.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is this way every time I come back to the US. My first trip to the grocery store after coming back from Africa, left me in a paralytic trance. So many options of cereal and butter and it's all there all the time; and $4-5/lb. for the real organic stuff. In Africa, you never knew what you would find there. Always a sigh of relief that it was there if it was. And maybe we better buy 4 just in case we need some next week and there won't be any left.
Now we are in Washington DC and Georgetown feels like a colonial tourist trap. Old preserved historic buildings and streets covered with guys in Hollister T-shirts and young girls with painted toe nails, flip flops and large handbags.
It's a different world.