A New Year

11:00 AM at 11:00 AM

After Christmas we went up to Mendocino for New Years and a relaxing week. Time flew by, but it was so much fun. It was warmer in Mendocino than it is in Davis. It rained very little. There were a ton of dogs, drinking, and Chordas merrymaking. We went mushroom hunting and were disappointed by the lack of mushrooms compared to last year. We found a few...



Even though the mushrooms were dismal it was still fun to search for them. Along with catching up on sleep, we had many adventures: I got good at playing pool. We ran from the cops who were searching for us with a spot light on highway 101. We ate lots of good food. We spent time with lots of family and friends (including the Towers family). And we rang in the New Year. It was your typical Chordas vacation. Every time I go to Mendocino it becomes harder to come home. Mendocino really feels like home for me. I really can see myself there...probably not in the village which is unaffordable, but around abouts. Along with perspective jobs at the community college there I also found out they have a publishing house in Fort Bragg- who knew?! So there is hope. I just have to write that dang CV.

I can't believe break is over on Monday. I try to think of New Years Resolutions but am not very good at keeping them. I tend to take things the moment they come. I do know I want to save more money and get a new computer. So the first resolution is a juxtaposition already-proving my point that I am terrible at keeping and making these sorts of things.

I do know that whatever 2009 brings me it will be new and a change. I'm gonna have my masters and should, hopefully, have some idea of what I am going to do with my life.

Instead of thinking forward I like to look back and think about how much was accomplished in 2008:

completing my first year at grad school
writing my first draft of my thesis
working with major writers: Dorothy Allison, James Houston, Yiyun Li
And of course the highlight of the year: COSTA RICA








1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Home away from home, for sure. My main goal is always try to better the previous year. 08 will be hard to top, I'll at least knock myself out trying. Without you Costa Rica would of never happened, thanks so much Meli