9:24 PM at 9:24 PM

Awhile ago my Pop's and I went to the Palms playhouse in Winters to listen to David Linley perform. I like doing these types of things. David had an impression on me. Ever since I saw him tell his stories through song and talk I have been inspired. I couldn't stop thinking about the concert, even now, at least half a year later. I was happy to finally use his inspiration in one of my amateur poems. So here is a new poem I wrote, thanks to my Pop for taking me to the concert and in inspiration of David Linley-

In High School they played tonsil tag
Behind the gym walls.
She could taste his smoke.
He thumbed her white barrette in her thin blond hair.
The air whispered against their faces like a blow dryer.
They made wishes with dandelion kisses.

He handed her his last Yoo-Hoo
They skipped rocks and spit watermelon seeds
in a dried up pond that smelled like sidewalk chalk
and tomatoes about to crack from the heat.
A plastic ring from a grocery store dispenser -
Twenty-five cents, a guarantee.

The day he left for his route in his mail truck
The plastic ring tangled with a pistol in his pocket
Torn paper flowers, icy silences, smudged windows
Littered their small rented home where she wore red heels.
He wore his fake turquoise alligator skin shoes
That cost eighty-nine cents at the Salvation Army.

Stained dappled bags bellied with mail
Became Evidence in the police office
As they handed her the plastic ring
That she remembered throwing at him.
Persimmon salamanders traipsed in her mind
And their baby kicked her, upside down, right under her ribs.

0 comments: