Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.

10:11 AM at 10:11 AM

The heat this past week has made up for the mild Davis summer we have had this year. Jaime has been unruly. He wants to sleep all day, because it is over 100 degrees outside. Then when it is cool in the evening he barks non-stop and is eating everything possible: flip flops, pens, Lisa's expensive heels, tennis balls. EVERYTHING. I try to take him outside but he is too hot to walk and it defeats the purpose.

On top of that I got the flu on my three day weekend. Having a fever during a heat storm is my version of personal hell. Today I called in sick. Decided to rest and get better. These past few days I have been experiencing mirages of the cooler north east coast.

I was contacted by a professor this last week with another job offer. She is the director of the university writing program. She said she saw my file and received a personal recommendation from one of my undergraduate professor's. I went in and met her. She offered me an office, $23 hr pay, and a job working with faculty across departments(My mind twirled with the possibility of multiple university connections). The job is 10 hours a week. Flexible. I set my own hours. Pretty much I am the student PR for conferences. I will be the one making copies, registering faculty, taking care of catering, and the such. I accepted the offer. I am really excited. The first conference I am organizing is on September 24th.

This job came at the perfect opportunity. City of Davis said I have no choice but to resign from permanent employee status. My supervisor was trying not to cry, because she does not want to loose me. But due to the politics there is no way they can add another 50% person. I wrote my first letter of resignation and kissed my benefits goodbye. I got teary eyed too, but at the same time it was such a big relief. I hate making decisions. If I had to choose between the city and the university it would kill me. I like it better when decisions are made for me, even when they are difficult. I will be still working at the city. Picking up extra hours as a temp. when needed. This way I don't loose my connections there. Just in case. My parents are going to kill me that I gave up my benefits. I have not told them yet. But I am only 23. I have a lifetime ahead of me and tons of opportunities. I feel like this is the right hand to play at the perfect time.

It is funny how as soon as I stop stressing about life and let go of some control, everything falls in place. I am a strong believer in letting fate, karma, whatever you want to call it take control. Even though it is hard to just "go with the flow" I always seem to have things dropped in my lap when I am not pushing, pushing, pushing. Look at grad school for example. When I wanted it most I was rejected. Then when I reapplied and let go of the thought: "If I don't get this I will die," it happened. And it happened better with the 2nd time around. Look at all of these job offers. I am just learning, as I get older, that I need to keep working hard but stop stressing, stop trying to control everything...it all will happen. I will be rewarded for my hard work. I just need to breath, let go, and wait the for the opportunities to come to me.

0 comments: