Perfect Job = Maybe not meant to be

10:19 AM at 10:19 AM

Last Saturday I found the perfect job. It is at Mills college and is the office admin personnel for the creative writing program: full benefits and salary. The best part though, it was only 20 hours a week which would give me time to write, do an internship, and pursue other things.

Of course there was a problem. There always is a problem. As I teach my students on a daily basis- Life is full of struggles. Don't make everything so easy for your characters. I want to see struggle and conflict in your stories...

So my problem...the job closed on January 29th. I found it on the 31st. 2 Days LATE. Regardless, I thought to myself if they still have it posted online maybe, just maybe they are still accepting applications.

So I spent half a day writing a darn good cover letter, editing my CV and paying the post office extra money to deliver it ASAP.

Mills sent me a letter thanking me for my application but pretty much letting me know they were not going to look at it because they have closed the job and are not accepting applications any more. Just to add to that they also said they are not keeping resumes on file at this time.

I tried to decide if it was more frustrating to be rejected without them even looking at my application or looking at it and deciding I was not suited for the job. Then I just kicked myself over and over for not looking at the Mills employment website earlier. I mean on January 25th I spend hours searching at UC Berkeley for jobs...why, why didn't I look at Mills?!?!?! I would have met the closing deadline.

Regardless, I drank a beer and decided this perfect job was maybe not meant to be my job.

2 comments:

Katie T said...

Ugh. That's super frustrating. But it did force you to get together a CV and write a cover letter, which I'm sure you'll be able to use in the future. So there is that.

But still pretty frustrating.

Anonymous said...

I agree you gain from this experience. And remember you rejected them first! But technically you weren't really rejected.

pop