Win some, lose others

6:29 PM at 6:29 PM

I've been holding off writing, because I knew it would be just an angry ranting post.
Actually- I typed a response to the election a few times and deleted it. It was liberating to just watch the words disappear while holding down the backspace button.

Don't get me wrong. I was overjoyed and extremely happy that Obama was elected president. I almost can't believe it is all over and this educated, young, motivated, democrat is our president.

Although my obama high was killed the next morning when I found out California decided to rape same sex couples of their legal civil rights. Pretty much the words that ran through my head in my disappointed state were: "WHAT THE HELL?" "HYPOCRITES" and "CALIFORNIA? Come,on."

But I have sat on it for over 24 hours and even though I still think those things I also think optimistic thoughts. Such as change being an incredibly slow thing. I mean good things happen, eventually. It is crazy to think segregation of african americans happened in our parents and grandparents lifetime. You just have to be patient, but it is sometimes so hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of equality being an issue. I still don't understand how same-sex marriage will affect a marriage between a man and a woman. Or how we should prevent same-sex marriage because it will be taught in schools. Since when was marriage ever taught in schools?

It is just so silly and hard for me to try and imagine the other side. Passing proposition eight is not preventing homosexual relationships or families. They're still gonna happen. People are going to continue to love whomever they want- regardless or sex, race, religion. A state's vote isn't going to stop anyone from sharing love and even a life with children, shared bank accounts, and a house together (all these things that married hetrosexual couples have and share, but with the legal rights).

Its all so ridiculous.

Really.

I mean who cares if your same-sex neighbors have a marriage license to their name? A marriage license that you will never see, nor will it ever affect you?

It doesn't matter. And it shouldn't be an issue. It's just not fair. Think about all those people that are affected. People that are just like the rest of us. People that might bag your groceries for you, teach your child at school, live next door to you, and even be a part of your own family. All these people are now second-class citizens in the State of California.

I'll think positive though. I'll end positive: Obama. I'm proud of you. You've got quite a mess of a country on your hands, but I can already perceive positive outcomes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a relatively short period of time we are going to look back at this period in history and say to ourselves; what the hell were those people thinking about? Our ancestors moved to this country for religious freedom, if you want to take that away you should consided moving back. I'm convinced that Jesus would of voted no on 8, Jesus was a good guy, he doesn't need this shit.

pop

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,

I stop in now and then to see how my writing buddy from the Mendocino Coast Writers Conference is doing. I've left a couple anonymous comments about word choices that jumped out at me, and that was me with the link to the site showing the Palin pic forged with her head on another body. I'll stop lurking--I promise.
Mostly, I'm here to remind you how many people read your blog without every saying anything. This time I wanted to pass on something Gavin Newsom said about Prop 8; how California was the first state, in 1945, to recognize interracial marriage--all the while "the majority" said it wasn't right and how THE BIBLE said it wasn't right. That decision wasn't nearly as momentous as Prop 8's changing the state constitution to --take away-- rights that had already been established. Where is the compassion and brotherly love of the so-called religious right? How can -anyone- be so very righteous, all the while propagating misinformation and lies to support their misguided -little- minds.
Love and hate, all wrapped into one proposition. I'm confident justice will be done, and I hope the rest of the state will soon realize how wrong this decision was.
On another note; I'm applying for a low-residency MFA-Creative Writing with the Whidbey Island Writers Association. I'm hooked.
Keep writing - Doug / SanelTop in Google's mail